My second child liked to be read to but didn't gravitate toward books. He wasn't one to just look at books unless it was a scheduled time that I set for him, like bedtime. He had no issues learning to read (learned in school) and by the end of 1st grade was reading above grade level but he still didn't enjoy books like his older brother.
My third son has been an interesting mix. He is similar to his older brother, in that, he basically taught himself to read (still haven't figured that one out & I am a much more confident mom, so I have ignored any criticism). If I suggest he reads, he will but he doesn't always grab books. He also likes to be read to and enjoys the library.
So 2 out of 3 love/like to read. YIPPEE! However, this post is about the one who doesn't like to read. He happens to be my strong-willed and
#1 Pray - God is the giver of wisdom and the one who can change hearts.
#2 Don't Compare - I've tried so hard to not compare him to his brothers but assured him that everyone is different. It is OK that he doesn't read like his brothers. Actually, I don't like to read. I was dyslexic and really struggled to learn to read (thankfully none of my boys inherited that issue). My husband is the avid reader. He can devour a 500 page book on the Korean War in an evening, makes me cranky!
#3 Encourage Reading Anyway - Even though he doesn't like to read, I still gently encourage him and tell him that reading is important and a priority in our house. He still has to read.
#4 Do What Works - He is willing to read at bedtime so I make sure that he gets into bed early enough to have time to read.
#5 Keep Looking - Every time I go to the library I pick out a couple books for him. About 25% of the time he will read them.
#6 Find Series Books - I love series books because if he likes the first one, he generally will move to book #2, #3, etc. Also, sometimes I read the first book in a series out loud to him and then he gets into the rest by himself.
#7 Do Read-a-louds - My dear neighbor, Kay, loves to read. She told me that some of her fondest memories of her mother involve her mother reading books to her. Kay is convinced that her love for reading came from her mother reading aloud. I have taken that to heart and make it a priority to read to my son, even though he is 10-1/2! I try to read 1 chapter a day. When he was 7, I read him the entire Magic Tree House series. That was fun! Right now we are reading Peter and the Starcatcher and I hope to do the whole series with him.
So that is what works for me and I hope that these tips are helpful for you!
This post linked to
AND

Read aloud are great and I am a huge fan of books on CD or even downloading free stories, like King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc. off the internet. I think in a sense being so consumed with the written word has caused us as a people to miss the value of oral tradition and learning how to listen, really listen.
ReplyDeleteThose are great tips! My son is going into 2nd grade, and unlike both his parents he did not learn to read fluently until 1st grade and isn't yet choosing to read to himself, so we were concerned that he would lose skills over the summer. We need to leave the house for day camp about 45 minutes later than we were leaving for school, yet he is still waking up at the same time...so I decided to use some of the extra time to have HIM read ME a story. This has been working very well. :-)
ReplyDeleteThese are great tips! Thanks for the info.
ReplyDeleteI would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:
http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/prudent-projects-and-smart-solutions.html
Have a great day!