Sunday, April 26, 2015

Deeply Rooted

3 years ago I found myself in a very difficult situation, the non-profit I was volunteering for was shutting down, and I was left holding 100 precious children's sponsorships funds in my hands. I had no idea what to do other than pray. At that point running a non-profit wasn't possible for me. So I prayed like never before and after a couple weeks I got an e-mail from Wil Crooks at Children's HopeChest letting me know someone had passed along my name to him. I had never heard of Children's HopeChest but as I became aquainted with their ministry I realized it could be a perfect fit.


It still took a few months for things to get sorted out. HopeChest's in country staff met with FOVC's staff in Shanto and on Nov. 1, 2012 I launced a new effort in partnership with Children's HopeChest still working with FOVC and helping all my precious little friends in Ethiopia.

Prayer works and for that, I am thankful!

This weekend I stayed at a cabin in the mountains outside of Colorado Springs. Children's HopeChest had their Global Partner's Conference. It was so great to get together with the HopeChest family, whom I have come to love and appreciate so much, and be re-energized, challenged, and entertained by crazy Wil and Amanda!


These past 2-1/2 years I have met so many amazing people who are just as passionate as I am, who have become dear friends who I stay connected with online but overall, are my brothers and sisters in Christ. They are my go to for prayer and encouragement as I navigate the challenges of living a purposeful life sharing Jesus by being His hands and feet to vulnerable children, my precious little Ethiopian friends.


I love these 2 ladies. Melanie, on the right, just published her first book, Women Are Scary, check it out on Amazon.



The conference theme was "Deeply Rooted" and based on Jeremiah 17:8.



I purchased a 6 part DVD series which is Biblically based, I am excited to watch it.



My MN friends, all of our efforts combined are impacting over 1,000 children at 5 different CarePoints in Ethiopia and Swaziland.


We were privileged to see a private screening of a documentary called Poverty, Inc. It was produced by Michael Matheson Miller who is also the creator of Poverty Cure. This documentary was his attempt to enter the secular poverty fighting industry. It was very thought provoking. I have definitely learned so much in the past 4 years. I love Children's HopeChest long term sustainability model, it's healthy. Michael was our keynote speaker on the closing night. Here are a few quotes from his talk:

"Christian love focuses on a person with an eternal destiny."

"We can hurt the people we want to help if we aren't prudent."

"Imprudent charity can actually increase injustince. We need to have a heart and mind for the poor."

"The current foreign aid model is a new type of colonialism."

"Authentic charity must be rooted in truth."

"A question to ask is, 'what is needed for this commuity to create prosperity and growth?'"

"We have turned poor people into the objects of our charity instead of the subjects and protagonists of their own story of development. The temptation is to use them for our own self gratification. Humanitarianism fuels that type of charity."

"The poor lack the institutions of justice to create their own prosperity."

It was a great weekend, lots to digest, and still so much to learn.








No comments:

Post a Comment