Monday, September 10, 2012

When Helping Hurts

I am SO excited to announce that I am partnering with Children's Hope Chest to continue helping my little friends in Ethiopia. Why the change? It's a long story but one in which I clearly see God's hand.

In case you don't know, I took a life-changing trip to Ethiopia in January 2011. Upon my return, I began to support a US based non-profit that was working with a ministry in Ethiopia called FOVC. In August, 2011 I became the sponsorship coordinator and was responsible for a program that was helping 100 precious little orphans.

Last May, I was given the news that the US based non-profit that I was working with, was going to stop supporting FOVC in Ethiopia. I was heart-broken but prayed and trusted God. HE came through in a BIG way.

I was told that I could move on with the sponsorship program if I could find another organization to step in and help. I sent out some e-mail inquiries and one of my e-mails was forwarded to Children's Hope Chest and in early June, they contacted me. I had never heard of them. Honestly, I was pursuing Compassion International. Compassion looked into the situation and decided they couldn't help. However, the more I learn about Children's Hope Chest, the more excited I get. They are a Christian organization whose goal is to help alleviate poverty and spread the love of Jesus. I LOVE their philosophy of ministry.

Children's Hope Chest bases their model on a book called When Helping Hurt: How To Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting The Poor And Yourself. Their goal is to help ministries become self-sustainable. That means they want to see FOVC be able to supports itself within 10 years. That is a healthy goal! I would highly recommend that anyone who is working to fight poverty or is taking short-term mission trips to developing countries, read this book!

This transition will happen in November. More children are being added to the program. I will have about 90 new children to get sponsored. I am excited! If you would like more information about sponsorship please e-mail me at reachinghiskids@gmail.com. I think this is unique in that you can know and get personal e-mails from your sponsorship coordinator, ME!!  I am also traveling to Ethiopia once a year to visit the children and sponsors can come along with me.  It is exciting.  I hope to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment