Monday, January 9, 2012

Balancing Life In An Unbalanced World

One year ago today, I returned from Ethiopia.  I was exhausted, so happy to see my family and craving an old fashioned American cheeseburger.  It's still hard to believe that I took a 15,000 mile journey to the Horn of Africa and back.  My journey actually began twenty years ago and I know my guide was God.

Upon my return, I took a look at life around me.  It felt like I was looking at everything through a new pair of glasses.  This past year I've struggled to make sense of life, America and what God is expecting of me.  In Luke 12:48 it says,

“…from everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”

In this passage Jesus is telling his disciples a parable about the master, who is returning, and his servants are to be ready. The master wants to find them faithful and wise managers of what he has given them. It is interesting that this section, Luke 12:35-48, immediately follows several verses that begin with, “Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life…” (Luke 12:22) and goes on to speak of the lilies of the field and how if God cares for them how much more will he care for me? So I shouldn't worry! I have enough, more than enough, so what am I to do with what I have?

This past year has been a struggle as I've tried to make sense of life.  This world is so unbalanced, how am I suppose to balance my life?  I've read the book of Ecclesiates multiple times.  I am going to try and express what this trip meant to me.  Check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment